View Single Post
Old 28th July 2019, 21:37

Makko, many thanks for that detailed explanation, looks like my cousin Rob wasn't far off the mark, the management seem to have lost their way when they started dabbling in markets where they had no real experience! I have to say that your employment termination was somewhat substandard!

I always find it exceedingly sad when I see Liverpool and Birkenhead docks today, and then compare it to what I remember in the late 60's and early 70's - when visiting my Uncle Bobs ships...many BF ships alongside, all looking elegant and smart with towering blue funnels. Things of beauty unlike the boxlike monstrosities of today!

We often ate onboard with Uncle Bob during these visits (normally before he sailed) and I recall the food was largely very good and served by immaculate Chinese stewards (and had been made by Chinese chefs). It left a huge impression upon me as a young boy. I still have many fond and happy memories of these days. My Aunts husband James Lamb, was also a Ch/Eng with the Palm, Stag and Bank Lines, who's ships I also had the pleasure of visiting, they always seem to have been somewhat 'agricultural' in comparison to my BF visits!
Had I of been unsuccessful in my application to join the RN, Blu flu was my second choice, sounds like I was lucky that I got into the RN - as I would only have have 8 years employment before the company folded!

Nicholas Monsarrat