View Single Post
Old 31st August 2023, 19:11

Greenbergs, Liverpool. Total cost was just under 100 pounds (including a V-neck Wooly Pully, apparenly of Dutch Navy origin), so Mr. Greenberg allowed me to pay using two postdated cheques, below the 50 pound limit of my guarantee card! Years later, I bought some stuff from Miller Rayner in, I think, Southampton.

David - Maybe you went to Holt's Mutual. When I joined BF/OTT in 1980, they were based near Hamilton Sq. in Birkenhead and were in the process of shutting down. They were virtually giving away stuff! We, mostly all, bought BF ties to replace the unattractive OTT ties that we had been given. Holt's Mutual was subsidized by the company and also sold secondhand stuff. If, for example, during the course of a voyage someone had put on weight, they could pop in and exchange their uniform (if in good nick) for a bigger size with stripes and all. They closed down because virtually no ships were coming into Birkenhead/Liverpool anymore. I think that my Dad went there when he first went to sea in the 50's as I seem to remember him mentioning an additional Battledress style jacket, those being all the rage then.

Rgds.
Dave