View Single Post
Old 27th March 2023, 15:35

Dog's Home is long gone. The Chaser bar was a favourite with the racing enthusiasts. I did not frequent it as it was not accessible for my principal drinking partner but many mutual friends did and it is very well remembered. Broadly speaking it is where M&S now is. Run then by the McAleer's ran it and the family still have horses in livery. Young Robert has the Thirsty Pigeon and the Refuge popular with several of my friends although I prefer the Market (or when my young opponent is prepared to humour me with a game of Chess, outside the Bridge on a fine Friday afternoon despite the lack of Bushy's).

Many of Okell's pubs managed and otherwise that visitors may have thought inviolate have been closed. Liverpool Arms, QuarterBridge amongst them. As with elsewhere in the civilised world drink driving has finished of others, the Highlander, Lancashire and Waterfall are such.

And much as Wine has play'd the Infidel,
And robb'd me of my Robe of Honour—well,
I often wonder what the Vintners buy
One half so precious as the Goods they sell.

Well, in the case of Okells we suspect the answer is 'property'.

(Not given-up Tom, just off watch. I haven't looked at the rental market recently PM me if you are still interested. M'Lady's tip using Dean's remains valid although I guess most established agents will have access to the same stock, even if not the primary contract holder).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan