View Single Post
Old 25th June 2021, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
I confess to knowing little about Ellermans other than they were called City of Xxxx. Didn't they have an early Box Boat with Ben-Ellerman painted on the side. The TMS guy, Christopher Martin Jenkins was one of the Ellermans, so I have been told.
When was their hey-day and how many ships had they? What was their primary routes? Why were their Officers, including engineers, just that little bit more snobbish than those from P&O or BI? And don't deny it, the cock may crow three times.
When I was "promoted" ashore in 1972 ( with a significant reduction in salary) I think we were running nearly 70 vessels as Ellerman City Liners as it then became.
Christopher Martin Jenkins was the son of Dennis Martin Jenkins who was the Chairman at the time. Don't know if the family was related to the Ellermans but there may have been a connection through marriage somewhere ? We did most of the Liner Trades; MANZ, Canada -India, Far East, East and South Africa, Med,
For our sins we managed the Carchester that ran gain Canada - Manchester and also Dilkara for PAD and had a share (22%?) in ACT, Ben-Ellerman and Ellerman -Harrison,
The Carchester had what I believe was a quite unique engine - as direct reversing V12 Pielstick 2.2 with a bridge control system that has to be seen to be believed.
I haven't hear the cock crow once let alone three times as I am unable to compare and contrast our supposed levels of snobbishness