View Single Post
Old 17th July 2017, 15:59

Operating systems are basically about what you are used to. Hence the screams and wails when a new version is released and the learning curve is back. But you have to bite the bullet on that one, valves and big lumpy components soldered onto racks are GONE people.

I'm yet again in the middle of upgrading dozens of laptops for the village school, a new version of Windows 10 is going to be on the cards every year according to Microsoft (but ... you don't have to pay for it !!) I personally have never had much of a problem with it. All this notification behaviour is down to how people want the Internet to be these days (I'll admit I'm not that keen on it) but the fact is you can turn most of this off if you look into it.

As for Linux ? Well I run Linux Mint and Ubuntu and Windows 10 on an old (but perfectly good) desktop (plug in drives, none of this dual boot nonsense) and for sure it is a good system. But my background from the late 80's early 90's was working in Unix, which is the forerunner of Linux, so I manage it ok, but I have found though that many people find Linux intimidating and less user friendly than Windows or Apple OS and for sure it is a bit more geeky. But since it and Open Office are all FREE !! ... it's a good deal.

As for Apple, well beyond being ridiculously overpriced I don't like their attitude that 'thou shalt not meddle' with the innards of the system, 'but payeth Apple to fixeth it.'

But different strokes for different folks as they say. This joke diagram pretty much sums it all up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg operatingsystems.jpg (110.6 KB, 74 views)