View Single Post
Old 19th August 2017, 10:39

For those who are not fond of updates all I can say is you should give it some more thought. With regard to full upgrades this is the way it is going to be from now on, which is surely better than having to purchase a new operating system every few years.

I believe the current issue of Windows 10 is 1703 version 15063.54. My current version on test is shown below. It hasn't upgraded now for three weeks, which is the longest time this year between new builds but I suspect the boys in California are taking their vacations.This only applies to one machine, all the rest I run are on the current Windows 10 Pro issue. But I set all general updates to fully automatic.

It's upgraded almost weekly for most of the year and as you can see the build number is way ahead of the general release. This of course is a test version, which is put out all over the world and performance data and glitches fed back to Microsoft. In the several years I've been doing this I've only had one major problem during an upgrade which involved recovering the system from an image. Bear in mind if you're beta testing problems are to be expected and prepared for, which is why I dedicated just the one desktop to the job. This does make you a bit paranoid about backing up any files you value ... but I see that as a good thing.

Microsoft seem fond of bolting on extra bells and whistles admitted but the fact is software like everything else moves on. Not doing updates or general release upgrades is dangerous these days with the amount of malicious software flying around.

This applies to all operating systems regardless of flavour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Win10Aug192017.jpg (24.6 KB, 27 views)