View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2017, 00:49

Question Do you enjoy flying?

Do you enjoy flying? The airports? The transits? Anything about the actual journey door to door about an air trip?

I find the whole business tedious in the extreme. It's never simple, always tiring and a real chore.
Problem is that these days to do anything or go anywhere one needs to fly.
Sitting on ones backside in various forms of transport for up to thirty six hours door to door was only made worthwhile by my choice of destination, and the period of time I could stay at that destination.
The choice of airline is quite important methinks, but not THAT important, as no matter what company one flies with, one still has to sit still for most of the flights.
Problems became more difficult as I got older, and I had to be wheeled on and off all aircraft, as my mobility was severely affected by the onset of flue, and my COPD condition which prevented me from walking for miles through airport terminals. It was very handy being wheeled everywhere I suppose, but it didn't do much for my street cred
Todays flying is so different from the flying I did in the 60s - 70s when I was young and considerably fitter. Plus it was fun and exciting then.
Because of mobility issues transit hotels were out, I'd have likely overslept in a hotel anyway. The longest journey as far as hours go was from the Isle of Wight - Heathrow - Singapore 12hrs (8hr stopover) Singapore - Adelaide 7hrs (9hrs stopover) then a 20 minute flight down to Kangaroo Island. The best part of 45 hours without a kip, and so tired when I got to KI I wouldn't drive the hire car, and had to ask someone from where I was staying to come to the airport and collect me. I collected the car the following day. I was wrecked for days, and with jet lag on top, you can imagine
I guess my flying days are over now, too much hassle