View Single Post
Old 14th June 2017, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lavies View Post
I agree that long haul has become tedious in my old age (76) and struggling with suitcases is no longer easy. That aside, I have always loved flying. I got a PPL in the early 1960's for single and multi engined light aircraft and also flew gliders. Later I got night and instrument ratings. I kept the licences going for years and never regretted the money I spent. My longest trip, shared with two other pilots, was a trip from Bournemouth to the Med and North Africa and home via Gib, Spain, Portugal and France in a single engined Cessna. Having time to fly beat me in the end as I had three jobs ( two of them part time ), was a hobby diver and had a family to raise. Having said that, I had a trip in a microlight from a farm strip near Lymington to Thruxton and back last month and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Andy
Now that is something I would not fly in/on is a microlight, a friend had one and used to fly from an Airfield in N. Yorkshire, he was always very safety conscious, however he got that many rectification/modification notices for his make of Microlight he thought it was best to get rid of it and just hire a light aircraft to keep his PPL active, I flew with him to share the cost.
I would recommend Gliding it is a superb feeling when you are soaring, the Gliding Club I was a member of had an open cockpit Glider and it was surprising what you could hear from the those on the ground-------------and sometimes see when you quietly glide over them.