Thread: R/Os in port
View Single Post
Old 24th April 2017, 16:47

As has been previously stated you could not transmit in port, however, dependant upon the country you could receive in port. In the days when the Area Scheme was at its height messages were transmitted blind by either Portishead, or the area station, and continued until you sent a QSL. I have done this on many occasion, an example usually being the receipt of orders that the Captain/Company did not want to come through agent channels. This method was also sometimes more efficient than an erratic agent and/or erratic cable service in some countries.
I did once transmit under Captain's orders whilst in port. On my last trip in Brocklebank's we were on charter to Mitsui and whilst in Nagoya, I think, the Captain wanted to get a message to Head Office without the charterer knowing what was said - were having some charter related problem or other. I advised him that there was a very good chance we would be monitored by a Japanese H/F coast station and I would be censured for it. He said he would take responsibility for it and after he had signed the log to that effect I sent the message direct to Portishead. Quite easy with a 1000 watt transmitter through whip aerials.