View Single Post
Old 18th October 2019, 10:45

Hello and welcome,
MN records are usually quite well documented but they are not all available online. I see you have his Seaman's Pouch which is easy to get hold of but I am afraid the information from your researcher makes me a little suspicious. It is possible of course that his record has not survived but I received information like this when I started out researching and the researcher didn't know MN records very well and got it totally wrong. I am glad I took things into my own hands and found the files I needed.

Firstly, keep an open mind as to what you have heard so that you don't approach your research from the wrong place. All of his ships should be available in his CRS10 - service record from Jan, 1941- this is held in the Fifth Register of Seaman in series BT 382. BT 382 is not available online as each box contains up to 60 other names therefore the file has to be asked for and picked from that particular box.

So you do have to visit Kew which I note is not an option or employ a researcher to obtain the file for you. I also note that your FWR researcher states: BT 382/1891 Nothing survives. BT 382/3020 Nothing survives. The question I would ask is is he familiar with searching BT 382? Did he actually go to Kew or did he just try and obtain it online?

Anyway my advice is to forget about Crew Agreements for the moment until you see the CRS10. I would expect to find it in BT 382/1891 but if he served beyond the mid to late 60's I would also look in the Series II file in BT 382/3020.

What was in the pouch? Was there a CR2 card?

My researcher charges me about £5 GBP for a CRS10.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”