View Single Post
Old 19th October 2019, 14:59

Hi Gordon,

You state: "I've posted five of the seven documents I was sent from his Seaman's Pouch the list of ships served on was frustratingly left blank." The only list of ships that would be in a pouch are listed on a CR2 card and usually those ships or rather the ship's official numbers are shown. Also usually only ships prior to January 1941 as after this date records were transferred into his CRS10. You have only posted a CR1 so was there a blank CR2 in the pouch or no CR2?

You state: "Reading the documents, it seems to me my father was transferring *from somewhere* to the Merchant Navy Reserve, but there's no trail for anything prior to this paperwork being kickstarted." The CR1 states issued on entry to the Merchant Navy Reserve Pool [stamped 1946][Note* - not the Merchant Navy Reserve - there was no entity called the MN Reserve]. In 1941 the Essential Work (Merchant Navy) Order created a Merchant Navy Reserve Pool. To ensure that seamen would always be available for service, the Government paid them to remain in the Reserve Pool when they were ashore. Thus continuous paid employment instead of casual employment was available to all seamen, and comprehensive and effective registration became possible.

You state:"Dad did tell a story about a sailor on the Glenstrae who died in a weapon's malfunction which I think happened in March 1941 so it may be worth looking at the Crew List & Agreements for that time period." Yes, it would, but I would leave the Crew Agreement for 1941 until you are sure there is no CRS10. You are going by family lore which may or may not be correct given the passage of time.

You state: "Is it possible my father travelled on the Glenstrae but wasn't a "sailor"? He did qualify as an electrician and worked on land based jobs in Sri Lanka, South Africa, Hong Kong, India and South America."
Yes, that is possible too although I can see no reference to him on passenger lists on GLENSTRAE. You may also wish to consider that he may have been employed as an electrician ashore and not actually in the Merchant Navy until 1946 as per the CR1 but I am acutely aware that these cards are not complete and that is why I would urge you to check again for a CRS10 at Kew perhaps using another researcher to be sure.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”

Last edited by Hugh; 19th October 2019 at 15:11.