View Single Post
Old 13th April 2020, 20:17

Yes, Bob, but aren't the new televisions and HD cable boxes marvellous pieces of kit!

"Way back", in 93-95, I managed to get my hands on a small "video" output box for the main 3D Studio computer. We could output the animations at 320x200, but had to adjust the "gamma" settings as the super VGA (1024,768) reds were incompatible with cideo colours. I remember "all nighters" to generate the 24 fps for a decent animation, mostly projects "flying together" and flyovers. We did howver produce a completely digital users manual for some trailer borne water treatment equipment and offered a video manual to General Motors for end users. Nothing ever came of the latter, but my current car came with a CD manual which can be played on the onboard video system. The water treatment manual was turned over to the end user on 36 HD 3.25" floppies! No such thing as "memory sticks" then, but there was lots of talk of "crystal memories"!

During last year's Rugby World Cup, I was all set up at 03:45 with a six pack to watch the All Blacks. My telly was a 36" HD LG which I had won in a christmas dinner raffle at work. Well, after ten minutes, the telly packed up. Total panic ensued! In the end, I hooked up my daughter's ancient "no mark" 14" CRT screen via the coaxial antenna connection. The cable box read the telly and characteristics and VOILA! EUREKA! and some more, I could watch two tiny ant armies battle it out, even though the original signal was HD!!

Oh, I wasn't going to buy a new telly but when I saw an offer for a HiSense 43" UHD with Roku incorporated for approx. GBP152, I could not say no. Set up was all guided by the telly. I watched Andrea Bocelli in Milan yesterday on You Tube, enjoy Netflix, VoD (JoJo Rabbit this week) from the cable company and can view my 28MP SLR camera images from a chip. Absolutely brillian piece of kit which, at it's price, I would have been a fool to not snap up.

Rgds.
Dave