View Single Post
Old 11th August 2018, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony allen View Post
ok just to wind you all up .after leaving the merchant became a pro singer at the very start of merseybeat won awards with my country band played the cavern often and with the Beatles then a double act with my wife and toured the world .some of the shows with bob hope at wheelus air base Libya for his tv Christmas shows with Ann Margret.then J cash Jimi Hendrix the carpenters in Tokyo Jim reeves Chet atkins bobby bear don Gibson Duane eddy .I still have one of his signed guitars from 1962 jerry lee lewis.ferlin husky husky stonewall Jackson lonzo an oscar and so on now still don't like the Beatles . thought the beach boys were better .And all the black singers from the 50s/60 ect ,Donagan was the catalyst from the British reverlution.for guitar music .the first white man to sing at the famed Apollo New York ,also top the American charts with his unique version of "rock island line".just to let you all discuss what turned you on when you were at sea and arrived back to find new guys an the radio

Thanks for that Tony - the most fabulous times for those of our age and I'm thankful I grew up with the birth of Rock 'n Roll. Lonnie Donegan spawned many skiffle groups including the one I was in.
When I started working at Northfleet power station, in 1962, it was so noisy I could sing (badly) all the latest songs at the top-of-my-voice as no one else could hear me.
I liked some of the early Beatles' songs but not when they went 'all hippy'.

JJ.