View Single Post
Old 18th January 2021, 15:25

Google doesn't help me with 1720. Not sure if relevant as that is not even time for the pre-prandial tincture.

My palate left school with me and, hardly maturing any more surely, has only clasped coffee; caviar; jamon iberico; Grappa and Calvados to its bosom since (and the last two now denied me).

Eglefino ahumado poached in milk remains a breakfast favourite although, whilst Nanny would have allowed pepper (even black pepper had it been in the shops in those days), instead I now use chilli-milk which I doubt she would have countenanced. It should ideally be a commodore fish, the whipper snappers, short of their 10 years at four rings, are too skinny.

Mind you, I have noticed a certain lack of height in the stature of some very senior RN types (is there a NATO equivalent to Screaming Willie's orange box I wonder).

As I recall my schoolmate was not, then, a towering figure but perhaps he still had a year or so's development in hand. He was and remains good at hockey (and, I am sure, much seastuff else), perhaps that is because he is still quite close to the turf?

KGFS Trafalgar Ball's guest of honour a year or so ago was the First Sea Lord. He did not buck that trend (but did manage the lectern without orangeboxed matelot in tow).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 18th January 2021 at 15:27.