View Single Post
Old 8th February 2019, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Perhaps some will remember the 'wobbly Morse' which you encountered, particularly in the Gulf. Because it was a change in style rather than errors after a while you got used to it, and it was perfectly readable.
When I trained for the Cheltenham mob I had to do the Morse training regardless of experience, (receiving only for obvious reasons.) They had a large number of samples of wobbly Morse which they often played. Strangely most of the other trainees who were ex-services (all three services) found this most difficult, mainly I'm sure because they'd never heard it before.
They would ask me who sent this sort of Morse which told me they hadn't been listening to those Gulf stations which of course back then they wouldn't have been. They mostly listened to Russian Morse which is usually first class.
Not sure what you mean by 'wobbly', Bob. I do recall Port Sudan about 1957, his frequency would drift during a dash. Some said it was down to him having a single valve transmitter, so the tuning would alter with the load of the keying. So he made a bit of a warbling sound, a bit like an early morning blackbird tuning up.