Thread: Hello From NZ
View Single Post
Old 6th October 2022, 14:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie2182 View Post
Any ex R/O's remember drawing this time after time?
I remember having to draw and explain its workings for Electrotechnology & Electronics. I cannot remember if it was Phase I or III. We engineers had to suffer too on Diploma courses! I clearly remember in Phase I the Wheatstone Bridge and how to find where a cable break was, taught by an ex-GPO engineer. It was all a mystery to me. Then again, I had to resit Electrotech, the information went in one ear and out the other, which I had to explain to the Super.

I saw mention above of the "breeze block" Avo. I remember it well, with a sturdy leather case that just added to the weight.

Years ago, probably thirty odd, I was in, of all places, one of those big pharmacies in the States that sell absolutely everything, just that the stuff was good, not like the Chinese emporiums which seem to have made a comeback.

Anyway, there on the racks, amongst Stilsons, insulation tape and glitter pom-poms (!?) was the smallest multimeter I had ever seen, about the size of a packet of cigarettes. I bought it as more of a novelty, not expecting it to work, but work it did! I have no idea where it is though.

I was, a few years later walking through a department store here in Mexico (curiously called Liverpool) and I checked out the clearance items in the tool section. There was a digital multimeter at a real knockdown price. I bought it and still use it. I have never had to change the battery! It is a bit smaller than a paperback, no leather case though!

I also have some odd bits and pieces: A digital Bosch laser tape measure that came free with a mini angle grinder, a digital tube and wire detector (which doesn't work well here in Mexico because the houses are bricks and mortar), a laser level (which I use to make the cats do exercise), amongst others.

Digital multimeters and battery screwdrivers/drills/hammer drills/socket drivers came along to revolutionize the world! (I recently replaced my Bosch 12V with a Bosch 18V because it was cheaper and a smarter working option, than buying new batteries! It also has adjustable torque).

Rgds.
Dave