View Single Post
Old 28th June 2017, 13:30
Super Moderator

I did have the pleasure of some private aircraft flying in Austers with my brother back in the late 50's
early 60's. A member of the Luton flying Club. In the days before it became what it is today. Just a grass runway. Then the new tarmac runway was built and the big jets started to arrive.
My first big jet flight was with British Caledonian in 1972 on a B707 from Gatwick to Toronto.
This was during the Uganda problems and our plane was late arriving back into Gatwick after bringing out a full load of refugees. Eventually we took off bound for Toronto. We had very severe turbulence over the Atlantic and did a few high speed lift drops. I was to say the least not too happy. Later we were told that due to the jet ban in Toronto after a certain time we were diverted to New York Niagara. From there we were bused to our destination. In all a very long drawn out day and certainly put me off flying for some years.
Now like most of us I take it in my stride and just planning our next long haul to the West coast of USA.
Flown on many aircraft types now but I must say my favourite at this time is the B787 Dreamliner. A very pleasurable flight to Toronto on it. Home from Washington on a B747 on which we got an upgrade to Club. Said I would never fly any other way again. Earlier this year the normal A319 of Easyjet to Spain!

Neville