View Single Post
Old 18th April 2017, 07:55
Super Moderator

Northern Star Voyage 26 Part Two

Wednesday 30th October 1968

Just off the coast of Portugal at noon, now out of the Bay, and much smoother passage. Went to the Library this morning and got a book about New Zealand and NZ birds, weather sunny temp 65f. Wrote to mum by air letter form, and card of ship. Went to the Tavern in the evening with two girls Diane and Hilda, got back to cabin about 12.15.

Thursday 31st October we were 120 nautical miles off Madeira at noon, weather windy but sunny 65 to 68f sea rough but smooth sailing. Spent day lazing around went to Bingo in the evening, wrote more letters.

Getting away from the diary for a minute, every day we had a Today’s Programme. below would be a typical day.

7.30 Holy Mass in the Library
8.30 Weather Broadcast
9.00 Children’s Games Session on Forward Sun Deck
10.00 Mixed Doubles Deck Tennis
10.00 Men’s Keep Fit Class Forward Sun deck
10.15 Latin American Dancing In The Tavern
10.30 Children’s Paper Mosaic Design Competition for 5 – 8 Year Olds in Recreation Room
10.45 Ladies Keep Fit Class on the Forward Sun Deck
10.45 Sewing Bee in the Forward Lounge(Hats, Bags, Cushions, Aprons etc)
11.00 Music with David Spurr in the Forward Lounge
11.00 Jim Strachan Band in the Tavern
11.30 Yoga class on the after End of Promenade Deck

2.30pm Adult’s Sports and Tug of War on the Sports Deck
2.30pm Solo Drive in the Forward Lounge
2.30pm Discussion Group Meeting in the Library to start you talking
2.30pm Cinema – Never A Dull moment starring Dick Van Dyke (Cert U)
4.40pm Demonstration of Hair Styles by Steiner in the Forward Lounge
5.30pm News Broadcast in Cinema Lounge
5.30pm to 8.15pm Juke Box for Teenagers in the Recreation Room
7.00pm Cinema – Never a Dull Moment 1st Sitting
8.30pm Dancing in the Tavern
8.30pm Music with David Spurr in the forward Lounge
9.00pm Cinema – Never a Dull Moment – 2nd Sitting
Midnight Juke Box in Tavern

Television Programme

4.00pm Tales of the Riverbank
4.16pm Peewee’s Problem
8.30pm Postcard from Perth
8.40pm A Fool for a Client
9.07 Real Russian Caviar

On the back of Today’s Programme was daily information where the ship was speed and weather forecast etc as well as information of places we passed close to. The programme I am looking at was about St Helena.

It must be noted that passenger liners had a very small entertainment department. Nothing like it is today aboard cruise ships. However, for a ship her size, and the trade she was employed on, Northern Star did not do too badly to keep passengers entertained, after all she was a working ship.

Friday 1st November 1968

Arrived at Las Palmas at 0700(7am) Lovely place, the island of Grand Canary which is made up of craters and valley’s and mountains. I went on a day tour from the ship to the centre of the island going up and up all the time round one mountain through a valley and up and round another mountain until you reach a certain peak, each mountain on the highest level of mountains are like salt pots sticking up all over the place. On the hills is a mass of flowers and fruit bushes. We went to a night club in a cave. We had lunch but none of us knew what it was, but it tasted okay. I met up with Ewart Hobbs and his wife having lunch with them all wondering what it was! They were going to Christchurch to live with their son, then buy their own house. On return to the ship, I bought a record player with built in radio on the quay side for £13 duty free. We left at 1815(6.15pm) Temp 78f.

It should be noted that in those days, they had stalls on the quayside selling goods. We were advised to check that what we bought was in the box. Sometimes, they said they would give a new one already wrapped. Those who did not check often found a lump of wood after the ship had left!

I became friendly with Ewart and his wife after the Las Palmas tour, and when in NZ, I used to visit them on holidays, as I did one of my cabin mates. Sadly, I have lost contact with everybody I met on Northern Star

Saturday 2nd November

Off the coast of Sahara at 0900 (9am) and Cape Blanc at 1500 (3pm) my diary tells me and that I sunbathed with temp at 75f and calm seas. Played whist in evening, some of those playing do not have a clue.

I still have my progressive whist card, looks as good as new. I played 16 times and was on table 23.

Sunday 3rd November 1968

0900 off Senegal then round Cape Vert then took straight course for Cape Town. One of the ships engines failed this morning , engineers have been working on it all day. Played quoits with cabin mate Bill Rodger who was heading home to Wellington having been on holiday in the UK with his girlfriend. I then soaked up the sun. Very hot today at 84f. In the afternoon I was told it was 100f. Saw lots of flying fish, never seen these before, spent ages watching them as the ship steamed along. Wrote a card to mum and others. Put clocks forward half an hour.

Monday 4th November 1968

Off coast of Sierra Leone at 0900 then Liberia, wrote a few cards an air letter things to different people (see letters book). Saw two dolphins, never saw them before either, only porpoise from the IOW. Went to see film in evening called Counterpoint staring Charlton Heston, clocks put forward half and hour again.

Tuesday 5th November. No fireworks this year. Will be off Cape Palmas Liberia at noon, about 200 miles away. Tonight we will be at our closest to Ascension Island some 600 miles away. Just lazed around in the morning. Have got a bad cold went to bed early. Saw film in afternoon about Northern Star and how to catch a Rhino, and the city of Wellington. My first time across the equator King Neptune and all that stuff, I had heard of this but a bit naff. One thing I have noticed as we headed south was how the skies brightened, so much clearer than the dull skies of back home.

Wednesday 6th November 1968

Weather overcast, 76f, and heavy swell. Saw a tanker called World Senator. Went to Captains Cocktails party and to the Mad Hatters Dance late in the evening with Diane.

Thursday 7th November 1968

430 miles off St Helena at 0900 temp 72f. Saw cargo liner in the afternoon called Hazelbank of Bank lines, 10,335gt. These ships have numerous services mainly covering India, Far East, East and South Africa, North and South America, Australia and New Zealand. Went to see film called Never a Dull Moment with Diane. Clocks put forward half an hour again.

Friday 8th November 1968

Sea choppy, did PT this morning, then had tour of Galley. I would not like to work in there. Wrote to mum and saw film about South Africa and New Zealand. Clocks put forward another half an hour.

Saturday 9th November 1968

Sea quite rough. I had a bad night, had to get up twice in the night stomach ache, must have eaten something or the tour of the galley that affected me, but has not put me off my grub!. Booked a day tour of Durban. No need to book a tour for Cape Town because I will be meeting John Herbert who emigrated there from the Isle of Wight. Got landing card for Cape Town today. Saw Shell Tanker Mariner also heading for Cape Town I think. Had landfall dinner for Cape Town for those getting off. Went to bed at 2200(10pm), another half and hour on the clocks.

Sunday 10th November 1968

Northern Star is now steaming down the Benguela current, I think that is how it is spelled. It is very rough, gale force 8, but sunny. I took picture of waves coming over the bow. Went to a quiz in the evening. Clocks put forward again half an hour. We are now on Cape Town time where we arrive tomorrow, but we have been delayed due to bad weather. Not bad for me though, loving every minute. Have been out on deck at night and seen southern stars and the southern cross absolutely magic. Having read Patrick Moore books about stars in the northern hemisphere and knowing them all, I am now learning new ones. And the moon is upside down as seen from home. This is so brilliant.

More in part three as we reach Cape Town. On the trip down I was learning how to wash my clothes in the laundrette and woman in there was teaching me to iron. I had also checked stuff in my trunk in the Hold, which was only open now and again.