View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:22
Super Moderator

Northern Star voyage 26 Part Six

Tuesday 3rd December 1968

At Sydney. What a place, what a harbour, what a bridge. Never thought I would see this, but I am here, can’t believe it.

I went on a tour of the Hawkesbury River. We started off driving over Sydney Harbour Bridge to the north shore where we joined Bobbin Head Road until we reached the Pentecost Highway and then through the suburb of St Ives and Terry Hills where all the trees and shrubs were burnt due to a recent bush fire. This area must be half the size of the Isle of Wight. We then went to the surfing beach of Newport, a bit different to Newport on the IOW. We also visited three other little bays near Newport. We then went to Palm Beach and picked up a ferry to Hawkesbury River to Bobbin Head where we had lunch. We then went to a Koala Farm and saw Koala Bears, Kangaroos and Emus. One Emu chased me when we moved through pens, but I was a fast runner by now and shied the gate no trouble. Huge great things, long neck and thin head, looked like a bloke I knew back home!! After that we went back to the ship. Running from the Emu reminded me a story my mother told me when her and dad were courting. They were in a field and saw a bull. Dad run like the clappers leaving mum and cleared a five barred gate like a high jumper. Mum managed to escape, but like a typical man, dad was gone leaving mum to fend for herself!

Wednesday 4th December.

It rained all day. Not like the weather I expected in Sydney this time of year. I went to the main shopping area and bought a few things for myself and to send home. Wrote a few letters, but did little else.

Thursday 5th December 1968

We left Sydney at 1100. But I got up really early to walk over the bridge. I had wanted to do it yesterday, but it was too wet. I walked all the way over on the footbridge and took pictures. Nice trip out through the harbour past the Opera House they are building. Clocks were put forward 30 mins.