View Single Post
Old 17th July 2018, 11:19

Musings and Thoughts

I was walking around Tamar Lake this morning and noting how low it has become in the last couple of months. The Canadian Geese have all gone, I don't think they like the extended banks which are as much as 60 feet wide now. Herons and Cormorants are dotted about at the water's edge, looking unhappy.

The lake is a reservoir created by a dam that was built I think in the 50's. It's about a 3 mile walk around it. Now the shape of the original valley is starting to emerge as the water level drops. At this I got to thinking how interesting it would be to go back in time, and see what the valley looked like before the dam.

So, given a time machine (which I am endeavoring to construct from an old gas central heating boiler, but it isn't going well) that can travel 10 years per minute back ward in time, so you can have a look at interesting historical times. (Best look only, don't meddle with paradox.) So climbing onto the seat, and operating the brass levers (if they were good enough for Herbert, they're good enough for me) here are some journey times for your voyages.

A human lifetime (let's say 70 years: 7 minutes (making a cup of tea)

World War One say a century ago: 10 minutes (making and drinking a cup of tea)

The Wars of the Roses (middle ages: ) 1 hour (ish) (A nice walk)

The Roman Empire and New Testament times: 3 hours (ish) (A short flight)

Stonehenge and Pyramid building: 10 hours (A long flight)

Emergence of human race (Homo Sapiens, current thinking: ) 20 days. (A sea passage)

Age of the dinosaurs (on average, they lasted a long time: ) 20 years. (Lifetime journey ?)

Life coming onto land: 100 years (You aint gonna make it.)

Emergence of life on Earth: 750 years (Forget going.)

Last edited by BobClay; 17th July 2018 at 11:23.