View Single Post
Old 27th March 2021, 12:25

The vessel has buried its bulbous bow in the bank, if you lok at the photos of it, you can see that sand has been displaced quite a way behing the port side of the BB. So no matter what size BP tugs you have, and the SCA has some powerful tugs (I attended several Bollard pull tests on there tugs) until the bow area port side is clear, the vessel will not go anywhere. That appears to be what is happening now with the Salvors.
With regard the cause of the incident, it appears that mechanical failure is not the cause, it should be noted that the wind may be a part of it, but also the hydrodynamic situation of the vessel and interaction with the banks, I am not an expert in this, but know people who are.
I smile at some of the comments in the press from "experts" such as the drivvel that the guy on G C***** writes.
With regards to clearing the backlog, the canal currently operates at about 50% capacity, so if it is cleared in the next day or so, which may be possible as the dredging appears to be going well, it could be back to normal service within a week. The main additional problem may be slowdowns passing the area where the bank is damaged.
As one other commentator has said, at least the BBC hasnt got a photo of a tanker, the size of 4 football pitches in the story, which is at least a shade above the normal abysmal coverage of marine incidents.