View Single Post
Old 9th September 2021, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
Synchrometer had a dial and two lamps. When the pointer on the dial was vertical and both lamps out, it was time to close the breaker. If the dial wasn't visible, (3 machines in the plant) the lamps were. The owner had fitted two very old carbon filament lamps.

And Yes, the panel was/is granite slabs. It's located in Wadhams, New York state.
I'll see if I can find some pics.

Here - Matthew William Foley, granite panels. https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...es-tom-woodman The synchroscope is directly above his head, lamps not visible.
Fantastic, thanks for the link!

During the event in San Jose, Costa Rica, four plants were affected, a couple having the machinery hall filled to the roof with rocks and sediment.

Some of the smaller plants with 0.5 to 1.5 MW generators were written off as uneconomic to repair.

One of them was, in my opinion, a great shame that it would be scrapped. The plant was built at the turn of the 20th. century, one hundred years in continual operation. The plant had very quaint wooden buildings, almost like large doll houses, which had been imported (as was all the plant) from the USA. Originally, shift workers would have to ride in to the plant on horseback. The personnel being relieved, would then return on the horses.

The switch and control gear was all original Westinghouse and the name plates were thick brass, things of beauty, as were the switch mechanisms, beautifully made, industrial art, almost!

Best Regards,
Dave