View Single Post
Old 9th October 2020, 23:10

We had a lot of fun on the south coast and centre visiting Mantalbano's hang-outs/backgrounds.

Sicily is wonderful:

What we did was rent a car - I had booked a VW Tiguan SUV but got an upgrade to an Alfa Romeo Giulia! That was me made up for the whole trip.

We booked a room in Balestrate first, just outside Palermo, as our first base. We were two weeks there. The town is ALIVE! what a wonderful experience. To my shame, wherever we went, locals would come up to examine the car and ask me whether it was all it was claimed to be! We then went to a penthouse apartment (but no lift!) in Piazza Armerina (a beautiful city in it's own right) for two weeks to explore the south and east. There were two HUGE suprises nearby, Villa Romana Casale and Morgantina (originally a Greek city that was founded about 4,000 years ago!). We ended with a few days in Rome and visiting a very good friend in Florence (Scandicci). He lives in the tower of a castle built for, but never inhabited by, the Medici's. The castle has its own consecrated chapel which will only hold about 25 people - My dream is for my daughters to get married (again) there and have a wild luncheon in the gardens - Maybe one day!

I am seriously considering buying a property in Sicily for my retirement! Great times and memories there, when can we go back?

Best Rgds.
Dave