View Single Post
Old 9th October 2019, 13:38

Family Research - Finding Crew Lists / Records?

I am looking for some advice on finding out more about my long deceased maritime ancestors, who I think (from the census records of relatives/spouses) served at sea (I am guessing - Merchant Navy).

I have managed to find a number of seafaring family members during WW1, WW2 and after, however I have two ancestors from the 18th and 19th century that I can find almost nothing relating to what they did at sea (what company, what ship/trade and in what capacity).

The two individuals in question are:

William Vart (sometimes spelled 'Veart'), lived in Whitby, Yorkshire, Born in 1770, Died in Whitby Seaman's Hospital in 1843. He is listed on his son Roberts 1794 baptism entry with an occupation of 'Sailor'. I had originally assumed that as he was in Whitby at that time, he may have been a Whaler, however I can find nothing in the Whitby Whalers crew lists for this period - so I may have been barking up the wrong tree!

His Grandson, also called William Vart (son of the above Robert) born in the Whitby area of Yorkshire in 1818, died in South Shields in 1890. he is absent for the Census records (from 1841 onward) with his wife Ann listed variously as 'Wife of Mariner' or 'Wife of Mariner (Mate)', again not much to go on other than he was at sea on the day the census records were taken.

I would like to know if any members know where to go to find some crew lists for these periods, if they are available to the general public..... and perhaps some top tips from those who have experience in these matters if at all possible?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Best Regards

Tom

Nicholas Monsarrat