View Single Post
Old 10th October 2019, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Hi Tom,
I have a William Vart with three different ages around that time born in Sleight in1817 - do you perhaps have the exact date at all? Reasonably sure the records all relate to the same man. I will get back on this thread.
Regards
Hugh
Hello Hugh,

Thanks for the quick response, all I have for William himself is his approximate birth year from a researcher, listed as 'Abt 1818', although I also have a parish baptism record found by another researcher I hired - which states the following:
William Vart, Son of Robert & Susannah Vart, baptised 16 March 1822, Eskdaleside cum Ugglebarnby. Yorkshire, so I am now inclined to think 16/3/1822 is his most likely date for him, but I still cant be 100% certain.

He was baptised in the small village church of Eskdaleside Cum Ugglebarnby, Yorkshire, which I think was in the main parish of Sleights, near Whitby, he and his parents lived variously in the villages of Eskdaleside Cum Ugglebarnby, Lythe and Sandsend during his childhood - all in the Whitby area, I think the whole family group moved to South Shields area in the 1840's (which initially led me to assume he and his parents were in the Whaling trade).

What has scuppered my research is that he seems to have been at sea for every census he lived through, although he must have come home periodically as he had 3 children by his wife Ann between 1851 and 1856! All with him listed as either 'Mate' or 'Mariner' as his profession.

I do have a a definitive death date of 1890, in South Shields with his family (wife Ann (nee Carter), sons William George, Robert and daughter Ann).

I am led to understand that his Grandfather (William) was also a Mariner and was at sea most of his working life, he was born in the Whitby area in 1770 and died in 1843 in Whitby, so the different dates may be him?

Nicholas Monsarrat

Last edited by Tomvart; 10th October 2019 at 12:46.