View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2020, 06:26

The Stones and the Beatles paid their homage to Chuck Berry, and through him to the old blues-men. I do not think they had to, and I also do not think ABBA could allow themselves to. Their roots, according to both Bjørn and Benny, lay in Nordic folk music, and this is not something that would fit into the repertoire of any modern pop or rock band. They might have tried the songs Carl Michael Bellman, but then they would have been drowned in criticism from a heap of "truly genuine interpreters." (Sweden is, sex aside, a very moral country, their liberalism rigidly set in majority rule.)

ABBA only ever recorded and released one set of cover versions: the so-called 'Folk Medley' that graced the B-side of their 'Summer Night City' single. Some ABBA covers: Super Trouper – Camera Obscura. Angel Eyes – The Czars. Dancing Queen – DALUMI. My Love, My Life – Bike. S O S – Portishead. Knowing Me, Knowing You – The Volebeats. Lay All Your Love On Me – Pale Honey. Chiquitita – First Aid Kit. (Cannot say I have heard of any of those bands,)

Last edited by SJB; 22nd November 2020 at 08:08.