View Single Post
Old 11th December 2017, 19:18

Smile

Supermarket shopping is, I have found, relatively simply but it requires a degree of preparation. So the first job is to create a list of the things that one needs, preferably in the order from start to checkout that the local supermarket normally applies in their aisles. This list is normally left at home on the kitchen worktop along with the "green" shopping basket that eliminates the need for plastic carrier bags. That is not too much of a problem though, because I can recall everything on my list except for those products that I had not added to it, and most supermarkets provide cardboard boxes at checkouts for customers to load and carry away their purchases.

These cardboard boxes are those in which the produce was first delivered and their disposal costs the supermarket, so it makes sense to offer them to the customers FoC instead of charging them thirty cents for a plastic bag because the customer will then have to pay a waste collection company one-hundred and fifty a year for all of those boxes. I avoid such things as having forgotten to bring a reusable bag or accepting a cardboard box at checkout, by my simply wheeling the whole trolley full to my car and dumping all of the produce that I didn't go out to shop for initially onto the back seat. I derive a certain satisfaction from that in that I demonstrate my commitment to the environment.

This has the attendant advantage that when my wife says "Oh, I meant to ask you to pick up some *** I can usually find some under the back seat of my car having forgotten all about it since the last trip last Wednesday. This, I insist, is parapsychology so, In a suitably superior tone, I can advise her that "I knew we would want that this week!"