View Single Post
Old 13th December 2017, 23:10

I don't like to 'shop'. I do not mind entering a retail establishment, heading directly for the item(s) I require, collecting same and proceeding directly to the cash register, (Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, etc).
'Shopping' has a broader meaning, it implies traversing from the entrance to the closest display stand, circumnavigating it then repeating the exercise for each aisle until reaching the other end of the building, all the while picking up items which were on no list, have no immediate usefulness as food or anything else, and which serve merely to inflate the subsequent bill.

My first wife was of similar mind to myself, having been at sea with me, and fully comprehending that one cannot call up the ship-chandler, when the cargo-nets of supplies are already on the deck, to say I forgot the cornflakes (or whatever) can you please send some out.

My current wife, who is Jamaican (no slur intended on Jamaicans, perhaps all shore-bound ladies are of similar disposition) follows the 'shopping' method, even if she only went for, say, milk.

To get around this problem, I bought her a car for her birthday, so now she can go and spend all day browsing, and at least I can check the cheque-book usage online!