View Single Post
Old 18th May 2017, 22:22

Some of the questions I could still answer, but I got 2nd class in 1960 and 1st class in early 1962, both before transistors and frequency modulation came in. Theory was always a struggle with me, but I did eventually understand valves. I walked out of the Advanced Marine Elecronics course in Southampton in 1974 as it was totally beyond me. Didn't affect my career though (despite eveyone assuring me I had thrown away my future). I finally tired of it all in late 1992 and took voluntary redundancy at the age of 48. Never had much problem repairing the equipment though and I still dabble from time to time. I designed and built this vintage-style 3-valver a few months ago, and it works a treat. The three valves are between 70 and 80 years old. Screen grid RF amp. Triode detector and kinkless tetrode output. The coil screening cans are stainless steel salt sellers. Most of the components are modern, but concealed inside wooden vintage-style cases. Valve-holders home-made. Grid bias is a CR2032 button cell (3V). Coils are a few miniature RF chokes, 47uH for aerial and grid coils and 100uH reaction choke. Runs off 2V LT and 100V HT. Really hate modern radio and electronic equipment, but I still have all my test gear, and often do a bit of home-servicing, based more on instinct than any deapth of knowledge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 Valve TRF.JPG (162.3 KB, 12 views)