View Single Post
Old 7th June 2018, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Hot off the press:

"The UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) issued an amended Marine Guidance Note regarding alcohol limits for mariners on UK vessels worldwide and for vessels operating in UK waters. The new limit for blood is 0.05% or 50 milligram in 100 milliliters. The new limit for breath is 0.25 milligrams per liter of 25 micrograms in 100 milliliters. MGN 590 (M+F)".

How in Gods name are we supposed to run a ship with drivel like that coming from the Board of Trade? I feel a nose bleed and a sense of humour failure coming on.
We can only reasonably assume that the limits as shown are the required lower limits because no navigator worth his salt could handle a ship properly with alcohol contents less that those advised. After all we do need steady nerves, especially when docking in a 20 knot cross wind, and with the injun room calling up to tell us there's just enough air for 2 more starts.

OK, OK, I know there's more elaborate machinery and shaft drives in the GD but this is a nostalgia site after all.

Adjusting the amount of blood in my alcohol stream as we speak!!

Last edited by Tom Alexander; 7th June 2018 at 06:08.