View Single Post
Old 28th February 2022, 01:27

Thanks Malcolm. To my mind there is a lot of drama relating to the aid and other goods coming here. The only shortage is a lack of fresh veggies, the crops were destroyed by the acidic shower. For those who know Nuku'alofa, navy ships from a number of countries berth at Vuna Wharf and unload their cargoes there using Tonga Defence Force staff whilst cargo vessels, usually container ships berth and discharge at Queen Salote Wharf. Labour is the usual wharfies. Containers are unstuffed at the wharf sheds and the contents are held for 48 hrs before being released to addressees. No duty or consumption taxes are being charged on aid type goods including foodstuffs. Commercial goods are removed in their containers and taken to wholesalers and so on for unstuffing. There does not appear to be any shortage of foodstuffs in the stores but smaller stores, often PRC owned, are probably feeling the pinch due to the gift shipments. A niece of mine living in NZ asked me what I would like her to send me in a drum she was sending to family here. The only thing I could think of was a cheap bottle of wine. Hope it arrives soon. Malcolm, thank you for your interest.

Last edited by kauvaka; 28th February 2022 at 01:30.