View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2023, 13:59

We seem to have reserved our resources for celebrating only one industrial archeology, mining and the still working heritage transport (alas no longer with any of it's original power houses nor even its working mercury arc rectifiers. I am more interested in that around 'living' which we seem happy to let pass away uncelebrated.

For instance the Woodbourne had a gas lighting engine claiming it to be the first hotel to by lit by electrickery (I met an ancient in hospital who had lived there and remembered it running). While Joyce Cottier had the pub one was allowed into the cellars to view it - Intact saving the belt and what was probably its Barnetts ignition cock. Now a managed pub I went recently to find no trace of it.

We did, for the first time, 'do' the Gaiety Saturday tour last weekend. The second generation diesel generator was still there (although the original gas engine unfortunately not) as was a three leg mercury-arc rectifier.

There might still be the mechanical and battery plant at the Nunnery although I know that Bob Sangster had offered to give it to his pilot.

(Moan, moan, moan).
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 25th August 2023 at 10:23.