View Single Post
Old 15th June 2017, 19:24

I would have responded before, but my WiFi modem failed last week, and I am now back on line.

Almost all surviving Jaguars are in decent condition, as all the old rust heaps have long gone to the scrapyard. The mechanics are reasonably straight forward, and most parts that need replacing due to wear and tear aren't that expensive. (Under British Leyland control, some parts came from the corporate parts bin, eg, I had to replace the steering rack on my 1984 XJ6 and it was the same part used on other BL models such as the Marina!) The most expensive work needed is on an engine rebuild. All XK engines leak oil, some more than others, and eventually the crankshaft seals have to be replaced, which means the engine comes out. Owners will usually get a full rebuild at that stage, as the engine will probably have done well in excess of 100,000 miles. If you look after all the fluid levels and use the correct old style anti freeze, the engines will go on for many thousands of miles. The most frustrating aspect of XJ6 ownership is the notoriously flaky air conditioning systems, They all leak, and eventually need replacing with reconditioned units. But all that is forgotten when you fire one up and take it out on the road. There aren't many modern cars that give the same quality of ride and performance.

Cheers,