View Single Post
Old 18th July 2017, 14:12

The Ford GT40.

One car that must fit-the-bill on here is Fords GT40. There has been so much written about these cars full details can be got off the interweb. Briefly, the GT40 was conceived, in the eary '60s, as an endurance racer designed to win such races as LeMans and Daytona24hrs, etc., and be Fords attempt to beat Ferrari. I had the book...'The Ford that Beat Ferrari,' which was a complete history including each car by chassis No.
The project started when H.Ford 2 wanted to buy the Ferrari make and have an American car win LeMans. The buying process fell through, which left HF. determined to build such a car. To cut a long story short, the project was a joint British/American effort, base on the Lola sports/racing car Mk6 chassis. Carol Shelby and John Wyer(Br. formerly of Aston Martin) led the project and formed Ford Advanced Vehicles Ltd. (FAV).

There is more I'd like to say on this later but just now (literally!!) the post has delivered me a copy of that book mentioned above!!! A present from Mrs JJ, obtained off Amazon for an undisclosed sum, for our wedding anniversary (55) on Friday. My original copy was bought for me, again, by my wife when they first came out in 1985. That one was sold at Sotherbys, Chester at the peak of their value in 2005. I regretted that.

JJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gulf Racing GT40.jpg (12.6 KB, 2 views)