View Single Post
Old 19th July 2017, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jack View Post
Following on from my previous post....Wow, that book...it really was a surprise!!

Anyway, the GT40 got it's name from it being only 40 inches high. The original project was called just 'Ford GT' but as it materialised the '40' was added'. The cars were built in Britain, as we had the expertise in building sports/racing cars at that time, and a good base for the European races. with some shipped to the USA for races there. All the Mk2s went to the USA to be modified by Shelby and Holman & Moody, who were well known constructors of cars for NASCAR.
The engine in the Lola was Ford's 260cu.in.V8, modified for racing but in the new car it was found to be unreliable so the 289 (4.7ltr) was used, progressing through the development to the 302 (5.0ltr) and, in the Mk2 version, the 427(7ltr) motor from the racing Galaxie. All push-rod with cast iron heads.
In 1966, Henry realised his ambition to beat Ferrari at LeMans, with GT40's taking the first 3 places. They went on to win in '67,'68 and '69.
During the production of these cars, it was decided to build some road cars as well which were suitably modified and had quad headlamps instead of the square.

It was certainly my fantasy car in the late '60s/'70s but way far out of reach. Later they were selling to collectors for £millions. Many replica kit cars and fully built replicas started being produced but even these are very expensive. In 2005, Ford produced a new GT road car styled almost exactly like the '40 as a limited edition which is now a collectable supercar.

Back in 1969, I was driving through Much Wenlock in Shropshire when behind me came an orange GT40, the only original one I've ever seen on the road. It turned out to be owned by a lady from that town. The same car was at Oulton Park circuit when we were there a few years later. I got talking to her and got a real good look round the car - it was a race car(4.7ltr, chassis 1073), but road registered as many were.
JJ.
That was my dream car too. In 1996 when Ford cleared the Field at Le Mans I, as a ford enthusiast, had only recently gained my second's ticket with all of the wealth that I imagined that would bestow. I dreamed of owning one and driving around Cowes on the Isle of Wight scaring the life out of the natives. Sadly not to be!
I see now that there are replicas on offer, but they are even more out of my reach now that the original was then. Apart from anything else, since the Green party (upon whose heads may blessings fall!) here in Ireland introduced a new motor tax regime based upon CO2 emissions, my 2 lite Mondeo costs me €750 a year in motor tax. What would I have to pay the tree huggers for a 4.7 litre GT40?