View Single Post
Old 19th July 2017, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
That was my dream car too. In 1996 when Ford cleared the Field at Le Mans I, as a ford enthusiast, had only recently gained my second's ticket with all of the wealth that I imagined that would bestow. I dreamed of owning one and driving around Cowes on the Isle of Wight scaring the life out of the natives. Sadly not to be!
I see now that there are replicas on offer, but they are even more out of my reach now that the original was then. Apart from anything else, since the Green party (upon whose heads may blessings fall!) here in Ireland introduced a new motor tax regime based upon CO2 emissions, my 2 lite Mondeo costs me €750 a year in motor tax. What would I have to pay the tree huggers for a 4.7 litre GT40?

Hi Art, nice to see you on here. I always thought that I would buy a cheap kit and build one but you are so right - even the crappiest ones from way back are too expensive now. Back in 2012, I had a '93 Ford Thunderbird with the 5.0ltr engine, which I would have used as a base car if I could find a body/chassis, but no luck.
The original GT40s were selling in 1966 for around £5K brand new, and they had a job to sell all their road cars. Now virtually priceless!! I think a firm called GTD(?) in South Africa bought all the jigs and stuff. They will build one with authenticated chassis Nos. following on, for an enormous price, if I'm thinking of the right company. Mind you, not really a daily driver - I think we would miss our creature comforts.......

JJ.