View Single Post
Old 24th April 2017, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Down town today, and there must have been an old car rally passing through. Mainly Morris Oxfords and such, one MG TF very tightly hooded and side-screened up to keep out the really pleasant sunshine. I thought, not for me. But we all start somewhere and I know when I first got an inkling that I liked old cars, I was convinced I would only have to save up to buy a Deusenburg SJ, then buy one. It wouldn't be a first choice now, but what was or is your dream?

I think I might go for a Jaguar XK120, a bit of a brute, but given the money to own and run, I think it would still be very good fun. Given a little bit of a golden glow from the memory, what would you have.

I am NOT offering to buy one all round for you.
I always favoured the XK150. I saw one at a show at Althorp (The Spencer family home with the shrine to Princess Di.) a few years ago. It looked very well used, not restored in any way at all. The paint was dull, the chrome in good nick but unpolished, the leather seats slightly faded and cracked. I got talking to the owners, a lovely couple who owned a farm in Gloucestershire. They told me they had taken it overseas with them and toured all sorts of countries. They had owned it from new, and it had a very high mileage, although I can't remember how many. I always wanted a Jaguar MKII 3.4 myself, but never could afford one now. They used to be dirt cheap, but still fetch prices over £20,000 for a runner that needs a fair amount of work. A near sister, the Daimler V8 250 is more affordable, with a completely different engine note. They do have a higher level of trim though, and prices are around £20,000 for one in very good condition. A runner needing some work would be about half that.
I owned a few American cars in my time overseas, and my favourite (i.e. the one I had most fun in!) was a 1969 Pontiac GTO convertible. 400 cubic inches of V8 muscle. Fantastic on straight roads, hated corners.