View Single Post
Old 6th September 2019, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Lucky man. I'd be sea sick the first day of bad weather, every trip, and it would take me about a day to stabilise and then my sea legs would be good to go for 4 months.

I have often tried to analyse Mal de Mer in a logical way and have tried all sorts of tablets and various remedies given by shipmates. Tablets work mostly, but drowsiness can be a problem. Homespun or natural remedies somewhat less successful, Dry toast and Guinness?, Ginger Nut biscuits?, tinned spaghetti?, an apple and a banana? none were very good.

I would be interested if any other shipmate suffered likewise and what was their fool proof remedy. ( Sitting under an apple tree will not be accepted).
Seasickness can be very distressing, and exhausting if you get it bad. Dehydration is possibly the main problem to be conscious of. I was "lucky" to do my seafaring in small craft, and was only ill once crossing the North Sea in a whole gale from Holland on the first leg of the voyage to Seattle. We were taking a bit of a pounding, and the crew's heads were forward, which was doing a fair impression of the lifts in the Empire State building. I was ok until I bent over to press the flush, and then breakfast and lunch reappeared in the bowl. After that though, mal de mer never bothered me, even when having to duck into the motor room to check the twin Detroit diesels, generator and other sundry bits of mechanical necessities. It's all to do with your balance sensors in your ears getting upset by strange motion apparently. Some say that looking at the horizon helps when all around you is moving uncomfortably. If queasiness threatened, a shot of brandy helped. But then brandy is good for most stomach upsets I think, unless it's an ulcer!