View Single Post
Old 9th July 2021, 11:23

Not sure. I think it has to be 64 bit, which allows for more memory. Mine is maxxed out at 8 Gigs of RAM as that's all the motherboard will take. I've replaced the C drive with an SSD, the video card to allow for multiple monitors and a much larger cooler for the CPU.

Basic specs are CPU Core I7 660 @ 2.80 GHz Lynnfield
8 Gigs DDR3 RAM @ 669 MHz
Graphics NVIDIA Geforce GTX660 with 2 Gigs RAM
C drive Samsung SSD 860 500Gigs SATA3 SSD (solid state drive, no horrible whirly bits.)
There's another internal drive for general storage at 1TB and this has whirly bits.

So there's nothing particularly super duper about it. It initially ran Windows 7 then upgraded to Windows 8. First started using Insider Ring testing for Windows 10 about 5 or 6 years ago. Has been full updating of operating system very regularly since then, often periods of once a week.

This version of Windows 11 pro 64 bit went in a couple of weeks ago and has had some minor updates since to fix a couple of small bugs. (I'm running three monitors and the Task bars on the extended monitors weren't right.)

Current installation of Windows 11 is: 21H2 OS build 22000.65
Windows Feature Experience Pack: 421.17400.45.3

The most obvious difference to the user is the Start Menu has a new layout and is on the centre of the Task bar. The bottom left corner is now strangely bereft of life (after a lot of years when you think about it.)