Thread: The Road West.
View Single Post
Old 31st January 2019, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey01 View Post
Now the journey with motorways is probably even longer during holiday periods. Living in Somerset now and not too far from the M5. It regularly gets to a grid lock situation with queues stretching from Tiverton to Bristol. This then spills out into the roads around Somerset and just about everywhere becomes grid locked - even the small back roads, as people try to escape the mayhem. Thats how much we have advanced!

Neville
I drove up to Stourbridge for Xmas and was dreading the roadworks on the M5 as you approach Birmingham. They're turning it into a 'smart' motorway, which basically means you convert the hard shoulder into another lane, put up some lane control signs and you'd better not break down or you'll never be seen again, apart from occasional ghostly glimpses like some sort of Flying Dutchman wandering the Motorways of the M5/M6 junction.

But the girl in the Satnav had other ideas, she'd clearly been given info via the roadworks plotter so took me off the M5 just north of Worcester on the A449 and we proceeded on an alternative route. This might have been ok, had I been driving a Tiger Tank. Strange single track roads across almost Deliverance style countryside (yes, believe it or not, this does exist in the West Midlands.) After miles and miles of bleak landscape covered in cow sh1t, and circumventing a strange dark place called Kidderminster, I arrived at the family home. (About 10 years older.)

I'm told J. R. Tolkien lived in that area for a while, and some say he based 'The Shire' on Worcestershire.

More like f****** Mordor if you ask me.