View Single Post
Old 15th May 2017, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
Sorry Pat, the only name I can remember from those days is the Aga Khan. It was fifty years ago.

Yes your description of the Khan's rank sounds right, I think that would make the boss blocker for engine room ratings. I also remember visiting an Expo Exhibition I think in Montreal during that trip.

When I paid off her in Early August 67 I walked down the gangway and the next time I walked up one was as a junior sparks (The Ben Dearg) in 1970. The time between those two dates at Leith Nautical, a bit extended because I missed a term due to a road accident.

BSA-A7 0, Daimler 1.
I was in the Empress of Britain Bob, horrible ship for the sailors, six in a cabin which had steel bulkheads, so constantly running with condensation, dreadful food, we had to pay a winger to get us passenger food.
Everyone seemed to be working some kind of racket. some stewards set up a little business washing and ironing their colleague's tuxedos, while paying someone else to cover their work, and back handing the chief steward to ignore their activities. Others were bookies, one rented out a projector and a selection of blue movies, another had a library of risque books and magazines to rent.
I was glad to get back to general cargo ships and clean air!
Pat