View Single Post
Old 28th August 2017, 18:39

My first visit to Liverpool was in 1975 for a weeks firefighting course at Garston fire station. I stayed in Lord Nelson Hotel in Lyme St by station along with some others from Shell Tankers. Taxi driver looked a bit surprsed when myself and another Shell one stood by station and asked for a taxi to Lyme Street unaware we were standing in Lyme Street.

It was a very good course,but not really catering for woman re the attire one had to wear. They gave me size 9 wellboots, far too big and also had to wear huge thick fire tunic with large yellow plastic waterproofs over trousers and yellow waterproof jacket on top. The sizes were meant for large men. I'm vertically challenged so they didn't really fit. The weather was really hot at that time, a heatwave, and I roasted in that attire. There was some sort of fire service industrial action on at the time and the regular fireman were playing rounders in the yard when we emerged in the mornings. There would be a chorus of quack quack, quack quack and roars of laughter as I waddled across the yard in the oversized wellies and dressed in yellow, with the others on the course.

In 76 I was sent back by Shell again to Liverpool but this time staying in St George's Hotel, a little more upmarket for a few days ships medical course. A doctor and nurse ran the course in one of the suites there. Slide shows of diseases the men could catch and practicals injecting oranges, taking blood pressure and how to stich etc.

I was later to go via Liverpool for joining and leaving a couple of times at exotic ports like Ellsemere Port and Stanlow. Got sent to Lord Nelson Hotel to stay in again! convenient for the Lyme Street station station though.

I dont know whether there was a bar named after Maggie May in Lyme Street.

The lyrics for that famous Liverpool seafaring folk, called Maggie May or Maggie Mao sometimes can be googled. The song is set in Lyme Street about a sailor returning from sea and youtubes of it being sung can be googled.
(Not to be confused with the different song Rod Stewart sang of same name).

Last edited by Lucy Knight; 28th August 2017 at 18:52.