Thread: Spotter185
View Single Post
Old 16th November 2020, 15:18

Thanks Dave Mc for the WAWA info - have no knowledge of Wawa - Wikipedia tells me that it is a Ghanaian timber - loaded lots of logs at Takoradi but cannot remember the Wawa log. However remembering 'lost' items - loaded Whisky in Glasgow on the Kaladan into the tween deck locker in No.1 Hatch. 3rd Mate and I sent to oversea the loading. It was all for Lagos so no problems with what goes where. The 3rd Mate was inside the locker and I counting wooden cases in. Cannot remember how many but a lot! 3rd. Mate happy the locker was full and locked it. On arrival in Lagos, unlocked the locker to find a wall of wooden cases all there as we left them - BUT as unloading started we discovered opened and empty cases, passage ways in and around the cases, several broken bottles and the odd screwdriver. There was a load of missing cases - how they disappeared I have no knowledge but the Glaswegian dockers were as clever as their mates in Tilbury!! Looking at my Discharge Book I note now that we arrived in Glasgow on 21st January 1963 so perhaps they were restocking their supplies after Christmas and New Year.
Never lost a Truck though!!