View Single Post
Old 16th December 2017, 17:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
One thing about Blueys Bruce, they had many memorable bosuns.
Some I remember are the aforementioned Jock Sutherland who I coasted with six or seven times. When I was peggy, Jock used to give me a ten bob note and send me up the road in Glasgow to get him a small bottle of Scotch, and "keep the change sonny", which I used to spend on a sausage toastie in the Black Cat cafe in Linthouse. He came to a tragic end, somehow falling into the dock on his way back to the ship from the Caradoc on sailing night.
Another was Jack Cleary, a giant of a man from Wicklow, and his cousin Paddy Procter. then there was Ned Phillips, an amiable old Welshman who looked and dressed, like a sheep farmer, which he apparently was when home on leave.
Vic Blower was the bosun who introduced paint rollers to Blue Flue. he actually went ashore in Hong Kong and bought a dozen rollers and trays. The mate was astonished when the crew painted the whole of the prom deck in one day.. Vic later became shore bosun in Birkenhead.
I think the best bosun I ever sailed with was Bob Parsons, a "Newfie" who was a real seaman and as strong as a bull.
There were many more, some good, some tyrants, but all were excellent seamen.
Regards,
Pat
Plenty of familiar names there Pat. Joe Kavanagh on Ixion was a good Bosun