View Single Post
Old 19th December 2017, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil saul View Post
Hi Pat,
When I first joined Bluies I had a couple of months working in the canteen at Odyssey Works, washing dishes mainly, while I waited for a place in the catering training school.
While I was there, there was a guy named Tony Chan, about 19 yrs of age who was working there as he was due to get married, and from what I can recall I don't think he had ever been deep-sea.
He was a real good looking guy, and a natty dresser but a really nice bloke who never got tired of answering dumb questions from a 15 yr old about the ships.
The girls at Odyssey Works who repaired all the soft furnishings for the ships were all over him like a rash and he was a real popular bloke.
When he was joking with the girls, I was always hovering around in the background hoping for the best but they definitely weren't interested in a skinny, pimply faced 15 year old.
I could only dream of being away to sea and having the money to dress like Tony did and impress the ladies.
I'd give my right arm to be starting all over again at Odyssey, despite all those dirty dishes!!!
Regards Phil
Phil,
Tony Chan was Ronnie's cousin, I think they called him 'Chungi'. They all had their own chinese style nicknames, and most of them were handsome lads, that being a consequence of them mostly having English mothers and Chinese fathers.
They were all hard as nails as well Phil, I saw three of them take on half a dozen Glasgow neds in the street outside the Barrowlands dance hall, and they totally flattened them.
By the way, did you ever sail with two Wallasey lads in the China, Johnny Barton and Jake Flynn? Both ended up Chief Stewards I believe.

Best Regards,
Pat