View Single Post
Old 28th December 2021, 18:55

ES,

I do not know, but wasn't the KEF developed in the 70's? The Super P's entered service between 66 and 68 so, if the VT2BF was earlier, that would be the engine. The British built vessels and Centaur (twin prop) were B&W.

The Japanese built Super Ps were Sulzer 9RD90's. I sailed on Phrontis, ex-Pembrokeshire (as bult for Glen Line). The Japanese ships had two Allen generator sets, fitted P/S of the main engine on the bottom plates, not the best of working conditions when doing a major.

I assume that the British Super Ps had Allens too as, at their time of entry into service, BF's Vittoria Dock was a heaving hive of BF activity and major maintenance carried out by Odyssey Works where engine stores were kept. It would make sense to have similar gennies for all vessels in the class, as more spares were required.

Emergency gennies were V8 Paxman's. They operated at a higher than design speed as, it was rumoured, BF got a good deal "down on the dock road" for the alternators. Consequently, the Super P's sported elegant deck lamps made from the pistons and conn rods of "excursioned" Paxman pistons! The emergency control room was armoured and no one was allowed in the engine compartment during starting! As part of the BoT games, we would start one and almost immediately stop it, merely noting that the engine started easily.

Best Rgds.
Dave