View Single Post
Old 12th November 2022, 15:20

Amusing place names.

In Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, the heart of the Amish Country, there are a few small places with strange sounding names, i.e.

Bird in Hand;
Intercourse;
Paradise.

From memory there is also a small hamlet named Virginville in the locality, but I don't see it listed on my Rand McNally Road Atlas!

Footnote:

I lived in Pennsylvania for 9 years in the 1970's and '80's and survived the "catastrophe" of the "accident" at the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant. I watched a documentary about it recently, and the "consumer rights activist" Ralph Nader featured and I couldn't believe my ears when he stated that "hundreds of thousands of Americans on the East Coast were in a panic." Believe me, we weren't. Good old gallows humour was everywhere, and as I did my daily round of delivering to supermarkets I enjoyed some good banter with my customers along the lines of,"Good morning Roy, you've got a healthy glow this morning!" to which I would reply, "Thanks Sue, you're looking radiant yourself."

Happy days!

Last edited by Dartskipper; 12th November 2022 at 15:29.