View Single Post
Old 5th August 2019, 22:06

We had to refurbish a very large thickener drive for a Dutch company. The main gear was unique (9ft diameter) and we had to get special insurance for it's maintenance removal. The client requested that as part of the package, we supply a spare one, cost no problem!

We went with the OEM who had in store the original moulds, in Stockton or Darlington or up that way, anyway. They quoted us a ridiculous price and a delivery time of 12 months - MINIMUM!!! There was only one other foundry in the UK with the capacity and their quoted delivery time was 18 to 24 months - HOPEFULLY!!!!

We duly informed the client and they said,"no problem, there is a foundry up the road who can do it!". The Service Manager and QA/QC went over to check out the facility, the contract was signed and moulds shipped off. QA/QC nipped over a few times to check progress and the finished, impecabbly machined gear was delivered seven weeks later, one week ahead of schedule. The cost was very reasonable, less than half that which we had been quoted in the UK.

The main point of this story is exactly Bob's above - It is not just the case that there is no or little heavy industry still surviving in the UK, there is simply not the skill and a dearth of machine tools suitable for the job.

When I left the above job after my agreed five years, I decided to sign on the dole to claw my taxes back. That is another tale in itself. When they interviewed me to find possible job matches, their system did not have a numeric level for my degree of education, experience or abilities. The guy just shrugged his shoulders and asked if I was interested in working in the interim as a night security guard, forklift truck driver or in a telephone call centre!!! As they used to say, flocking incredible. One email application later, I had a job (splendidly well paid) which was much to my interest, back in Mexico! I am now in my fourteenth year in said job, speaks reams.

On another note, I have often mentioned to family and friends who are in Uni and thinking about entering the workforce, it is now a global job market. Languages are a must! Why vegetate in good old Blighty when you can do the job you want anywhere in the world for much better wages and job package.

Rgds.
Dave