View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:55

Well your choice of AV software is purely your personal preference. One thing I wouldn't do is run without it !!

I use two computers primarily for the Internet. A fairly old desktop with the insider ring test versions of Windows 10 on it which of late has been putting in new builds once a week, the latest being version 1709 build 16299.

On this I use the inbuilt Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and a standalone Hitman Pro to remove tracking cookies and the like. So far I haven't been hit but I do scans very regularly, daily with Malwarebytes. Occasional Trojans are uncovered.

The laptop came with McaFee but I didn't renew it after the first year. It had so many overheads it greatly reduced the speed of the machine. So I also ran the same i.e. Defender, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro after that and again so far I've been ok.

However don't take this as gospel. If you're happy with your AV software then by all means stick with it. But make sure it's kept updated and do deep scans regularly.

It goes without saying as others have pointed out that you should treat suspicious looking emails with unrecognized origin addresses and attachments with a large amount of caution. Also keep your system images up to date because if the worst comes to the worst you can always take your machine back to your last image. And with that in mind, make sure you've got a 'repair disk' if you're using Windows, easily made within Windows providing you've got a blank DVD and a writer.

To restore a system image you need the 'repair disk' to boot up on from the DVD drive.

(Oh, and don't store the image on a partition of your main hard drive, it needs to be separate.)