View Single Post
Old 28th December 2023, 14:03

Ross or Rosse? I knew of the astronomy but it was a second son, Sir Charles who made headlines with the steam turbine and DC - also associated with Clarke Chapman. Perhaps of interest I cite Clarke Chapman as the makers of the only induction motors suffering from rotor bar failure that I have come across (the MG set drives of the deck machinery on Pallion Hull 19, Broompark).

A talented family, indeed, but no. No relation although I rub my common shoulder with a couple of them from time to time. Any brass came rather disreputably from Yorkshire (don't talk about how we treated slaves until you read how old John Varley treated his millworkers) for class we fondly lay claim to the line of Adam Duncan although I am beginning to think the Camperdown memorabilia may have been bought by Grandma Duncan off a Portobello Road stall, only across the road from 11 Stanley Gardens where we were 1890 - 1930).

Microwaves. The only way of making decent scrambled egg without the palaver of the Roux brothers' bain Marie. Otherwise only good for warming through, as with turkey scrapings for the cats (who then turned up their noses!). Air fryer? Don't be silly, how can one fry air?

Lest you, again, accuse me of being economic with my household details I add, here, that I not only have three cats but also a pet hen and two bee hives. Chicken NoName is very fond of fried lentils. She is also partial to cat biscuit but offering that can lead to a squabble and a squabble, I might add, that she will win. She is rather lonely at the moment as her rather overbearing companion Chard died a few weeks ago.
It is the duty of the wealthy man
To give employment to the artisan

Last edited by Varley; 28th December 2023 at 14:22.